Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Szeged Week Eleven (Week 60)

Dang...I think that this email will actually be pretty short!
It was another great week here in the sunny city of Szeged. I'm not trying to be corny or anything, that is actually Szeged's nickname 'The Sunshine City'! Cool, right?! It was SO hot last week, like 80's for a few days straight...I cannot believe that it's already summer again! It reminds me of sweating, losing weight, and more sweating. So good. :)
Lots of fun things this week! 
For one, after English Class last week we went and tried to look-up someone we had tracted into the week before. She wasn't home. Cool. So, we decided to just try tracting out the neighboring building. We came to one door, I knocked, and a man answered it. I thought at first it was a little strange, because the unoffical rule of ettiquet here in Hungary is to yell from the other side of the door 'WHO IS IT?!", instead, this guy just swung open his door and invited us in. Oh, and it was in English. Cool. He's from Spain, and he's totally an English teacher. So it's a Spaniard...teaching english...in Hungary...I have no idea why... Anyway, we're going back in a few hours and we totally found a Spanish BOM in our apartment. Heck. Yes.
But, it was funny :)
Another fun thing! I got a haircut today! #euroclass
Random moments that were awesome:
In the same building in which we found our Spanish friend, I had Elder Mellor knock a door. An older woman answered the door and was really curious in what we were doing. My companion was doing so well...until she started asking him what was his favorite translation of the Bible was! Poor kid. He just looked at me and was like "it's all you!". So, I chat it up with this old lady for a bit. She wasn't interested in our message, which was a bummer, but she then asked me about my life: what I wanted to do with it. I said, sort of jokingly, that when I get home I don't know what to do, I just don't want to make my parents mad! I laughed a little bit, but this sweet old lady took my arm, looked me dead in the eye, and said "My small son (this is a normal thing to say here so don't freak out), you follow your dreams. You are doing God's work right now, so don't worry! Do what you want!" When she finished, I was just staring at her. Literally speechless. I had actually been thinking about what I want to do after my mission that week, and been praying a bit. Little did I know that my prayer would be answered through an old lady in a dingy, old ten-story building. Crazy. 
I've also tried a lot more lately to be more "engaged" in the work, that is, love my investigators more and try to serve them as Christ would. I prayed for it a LOT this past week, and I had an experience in one program that was an answer to my prayers. One of our investigators is in a rough spot with his family and relations with the branch here. As he talked, he kind of just spilled his heart out to us. In the past, this would usually trouble me and maybe I'd squirm a bit in my seat. This time, however, my heart literally broke. Like, pain. Feelable sorrow. Tears came to my eyes. Things got very, very real. As I turned to translate for my companion, he was all like "um...Elder Giacalone...are you ok?" haha poor kid! I then turned to our investigator and bore testimony of the power of the Atonement, and that it can help him.
So, then Sunday comes around and that same investigator BEARS HIS TESTIMONY in church of the power of missionaries and bawled. There was a former missionary there visiting with his family, and I thought it was directed at him. Then, our investigator, while talking, just does a shout-out to me over the pulpit. The whole branch just kind of swiveled in my direction and had tears in their eyes and smiled at me. Insane. 
I don't know why that happened, and why I have been so blessed lately, maybe it's because I have a new missionary, but I literally had the most emotional week of my mission last week. My testimony has grown by leaps and bounds. Our work is kind of slowing down with all the students going home for the summer, but it is giving me time to think of where I am at in my mission and what I want to do these next ten months. I love where I am at, though. 
Missions are literally the coolest things. And that's fact!
I love you all! Have a great week! Miracles are real, and if you love others, crazy awesome things will happen :) 
Sok Szeretettel,
Elder Giacalone

No comments:

Post a Comment