Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Sopron Week 8

Well, I cannot believe how fast the weeks go. They seem to be cruising by, and somedays are just a blur. It is absolutely great to be in the service of the Lord. I truly have been feeling blessed as I have been out here. 

This week, I got sick. Again. Ugh. Yeah, I'm done with all of it. It got to the point where we had to call Sister Smith and she got a doctor from Germany to call me. He had me give myself a physical, which was awkward but also pretty interesting. He decided that it wasn't anything totally serious, and that I was to just get some rest and watch what I eat. I've been feeling a ton better, and I feel like I'm back to my old self! It's been amazing to see how fast I was able to rebound, and I know that Heavenly Father was there in that whole ordeal. For that, I am grateful. 

We also were able to go with the Browns out to the Pan-European Picnic place out by the border of Austria. It has such a cool history there, and for those of you who know me, I love me some good Cold War drama :) In the late 1980's, a bunch of people from East Germany gathered there to like silently protest and petition to get let into Austria. The whole point of the "picnic" was to go and take a piece of the wall with you. Thanks to the calm down in the Cold War, the border actually did open up and people were able to get to the west! A few months later, the rest of the wall came down. A lot of people attribute that to the picnic by Sopron. So cool. Now, it's like an international monument park, and it's absolutely beautiful. They have a big "freedom bell" out there that you can ring, and I rang it :)

We also were able to go on a hike with one of the other Elder's investigators. We went up into the hills above Sopron and went up to this old tower that over looks the city. It was so quiet up at the top of the tower and the air was so clean. I had never experienced something like that ever before. It was incredible! We were able to meet with a few people this week as well, and I spoke in church! Yes, my first full length sacrament meeting talk. It went pretty well! I talked on the Holy Ghost and how we can recognize it in our lives. All in Hungarian, peeps. Fun part? I had only four (4) Hungarian words actually on my paper. The rest was in English and I just translated it as I went. I don't want to brag, but fetch, I'm speaking Hungarian! :)

I hope you all have a splendid week! Hey, Halloween is next week! Here, they have "Day of the Dead", in which they just light up their loved one's graves. It looks pretty cool at night. But they don't have Halloween :( 

Make sure you all say prayers, because there is real power behind it. 

Sok Szeretettel,
Elder Giacalone

No comments:

Post a Comment