Monday, October 20, 2014

Dunaujvaros Week Eight (Week 80)

This week went by so fast that I literally blinked and it was over. 
 
So, last week we saw some cool stuff. It's so awesome to see people make changes in their lives so that they can experience happiness and peace. That's one part of missionary work that I think I will never, ever get sick of seeing. 

We went to Pécs last week on splits with the district leader and his new missionary, fresh from America everybody! My companion went with the DL, and I went with his "greenie". It was great being around someone with "greenie fire", he was just bubbling with excitement! We would walk around a corner and he'd be like "Those are REAL Hungarians!" or "Look at that! It's a BUS!" I laughed the entire time and got to play super old senior-companion for him and give him advice on being a better missionary. It was definitely weird being the old "seasoned" zone leader talking to the fresh new elder from America. Made me think of just over a year ago when I went on splits with zone leaders when I was fairly new. Time goes by fast...

If you remember my email from last week about that family we tracted into, we have met with them FOUR times since then! They are eating up EVERYTHING we have to offer! It's incredible! We invited them to church and they came! It was awkward because as of right now, we have no pianist in the branch, so we sing all the songs accapella(spelling?). I was a little nervous at first and kept glancing over at my investigators to make sure they weren't freaking out. To make matters worse, there was like no one at church and because of several new callings being issued everyone was running around throwing out terms like "home teaching", "Relief society president" and "Melchizedek priesthood". So, naturally, I was a little nervous. 

As I was listening to the announcements, I looked over at "B", the wife in the family, and she was reading the lyrics to "Where Can I Turn For Peace?", the opening hymn. She had her head bent low and was intensely reading the lyrics, and then pulled out a tissue and dabbed at her eyes and sniffed. The Spirit was so strong right then, and I think that was a learning moment for me: sometimes, we get so caught up with the things of the world and get so worried about them that we don't focus on the things that matter most. I know I sound like a "Mormon Message" right now, but even with all the craziness going on around her, "B" was focusing on the one thing that mattered to her: strengthening her testimony of Jesus Christ. It was a humbling moment. 

I have a strong testimony of second chances, getting back up and always, always trying to become better. I'm definitely not the perfect missionary, I have so many faults that when I pray at night it's like trying to stick together a broken vase with Elmer's glue, but- I DO know that when we make the effort, the Savior makes up the rest. 

And that's when the real miracles happen, folks. 

Have a great week! Enjoy that incredible fall weather, Utah! :)

Sok Szeretettel,
Elder Giacalone 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment