Thursday, July 10, 2014

Szeged Week Sixteen (Week 65)

This is Joe's mom...if anyone wants to write him, his email is:
joseph.giacalone@myldsmail.net
He would LOVE to hear from any of you!!!


So much happened last week. But, unfortunately, I am having technical difficulties and cannot send pictures :( meh
First of all, your Hungarian word of the day is: "repülőgép-anyahajó", or "flying machine mother ship", or, "aircraft carrier" :) Cool, right? 
Anyway, lots happened last week! The weather is still freakishly hot like 24/7, but that's what you get being in the hottest city in Hungary. The nickname "Sunshine City" ain't because it's cold! Lol.
So, I came to a realization last week that I should try talking to more people who may just be hanging out by the side of the road on a bench or something, and sitting by them and just striking up a conversation. This is what we call "benching". It takes quite some courage and motivation to do it. So, one was with a university student in a park, who was hating life and was actually sort of drunk. He laughed randomly, then started crying. We talked to him about God and who He is. He really liked our message, but didn't really want to meet again. 
Another person was a kid in the main square. We were actually tabling, and I noticed him just hanging out by himself, kind of like waiting for someone. So I solo-ed it, and just went over and chatted with him about our english class. He said: "Well, I was waiting for one of you to come talk to me. I have questions about life that no one else can answer." We chatted for like forty-five minutes and then I had to go. He was hesitant about setting up with us, but he said maybe next week he'll come to church. 
So, it was fun. Kind of random, but you gotta make things random to love them. 
For the Fourth of July, we sang the Star Spangled Banner in English Class, it was so much fun! We also had McDonalds for dinner :)
I saw my old trainer! He was visiting Szeged with his family. Super weird. His family said they would tell my family I said hi. Awkward.
We also met a family from Utah in one of the fast food restaurants. It was super funny. He came up to us and was like "Elders, I need to get baptized tonight", and we were like "You're obviously a Mormon." It was funny :)
So, kind of a crazy week. Lots of random craziness. We make pancakes and flew paper airplanes yesterday for district dinner at the branch house :) Sometimes you just have to random crazy things to survive! Missions are crazy, but they are so worth it. 
Someone sent me the song "Better than a Hallelujah" by Amy Grant. And sometimes, we "we pour out our miseries, and God just hears a melody". It's not because He is wanting to punish us, or because He rejoices in our sufferings, it's because we are learning. And growing. And learning how we can be better and do better things. And sometimes, we learn more from these moments than when we are in our prime or ready to do whatever we need to do!
So yeah...fun week! Excited for this upcoming one!
I love you all! :)
Sok Szeretettel,
Elder Giacalone

No comments:

Post a Comment