Thursday, May 1, 2014

Szeged Week Six (Week 55)

First of all, "Payphone" by Maroon5 is on right now in the email place. Shout out to Summer 2012. And Happy Birthday Vincent! Big 15! One more year until driving and dating! Haha!

Secondly, we had a great week! Lots of fun moments finding, coupled with some great programs! And on top of it all, Szeged is experiencing some seriously beautiful Spring weather! So good. 

I guess I'll just start out with our finding stories. I feel like this is where the fun experiences come from in missionary work. To spice things up a bit, I'm going to do it in list form! Woo! 

Monday: Ok, so on this day nothing really exciting happened. I think it rained? 

Tuesday: This is the funny day! First of all, we went streeting in the morning. We usually hangout around the center of the city, where all the people are bustling around and being cool. Elder Shoop stopped a girl around our age and did three funny things: 1) He accidentally formalized her. For those of you who don't know what this means, in the Hungarian language you have two forms of communication: one for an older person whom you've never met before, and another for people your own age. In America, the closest thing I can think of is saying "Good Morning!"and "What's up". It's really just totally different. Anyway, so he did that. It was pretty funny, and the girl was all confused. Immediately following that, 2) He said that we were Catholics. That made things even better. And to top it all off 3) he realized his mistake and just started apologizing...in English, though. NOW the girl was totally lost. It was hilarious, and I was on the ground laughing!

Also on this day, I chatted with a kid around our age. He was a university student (shocker) and was studying physics. As a response to my question "If you could ask God any question, what would it be?" he said that he was an atheist. Ok, cool. Next question, "How do you find happiness in life?" Response was that he didn't know. Then, he started to get really frustrated with himself, he said that he hated his life. He hated living in Hungary (<==== we get this statement a lot, actually), his family didn't like him, he hated school. Rough response to come back from, but I asked him if he wanted to be happy. He said of course, who doesn't want to be happy. Then I said "Ok, what about real happiness?". He looked at me for a second, and he said he'd give this "God thing" a chance. Lol. Cool kid. 

Rest of week: I realized half-way through this that I forgot which days things happened on. Wow...that sentence made no sense. Anyway, Elder Vanderpool and I went on splits on Saturday, and I was able to go to the city of Hódmezővásárhely. Directly translated, the city's name is "Beaver Field Shopping Place". Yeah, I have no idea. It's the Szeged elder's responsiblity to go to this city, because at one point it was open to missionary work and had a branch. Then, it was shut down. I don't know why. So there is like twenty members out there that go to Szeged every week for church, and the elders go on Saturday to check up on them. Fun time! I saw a wild turkey! Woo!

Also, last thing: it was like 8:30 at night and we were streeting right before going home. We didn't really have a lot of success, and so we decided to make one last round through the city center before walking home. As we were crossing the street, we noticed a younger lady pushing one of those double-child stroller things. It was really bulky and awkward, and she wasn't that big. One of the two twins inside was shrieking her head off, and the lady was looking quite flustered. We walked past her, and then the weirdest thing happened. It was like a mental slap in the face of "Hey, you need to go help that lady. Right now." Well, I've learned that you don't ignore these types of things after a year of being out here, so we went back. Of course she was pretty hesitant about it all, with us being some weird Americans coming up to her in the night. But she let me push the stroller while she held her daughter. Elder Shoop chatted with her, while I used my best baby pleasing faces and noises to calm the other twin down in the carriage. It was probably a really funny sight to look at. When we got her to the tram, she was grateful for our help, but before we could say anything else, she just got on and left. It didn't really phase us, though, we were beaming from ear to ear :)

Well, I still can't believe how long I've been out. I feel like we get cooler and cooler things every week, and I'm learning how to be patient with myself. It's been a good week, and I'm excited for this upcoming week! 

I love you all! :) Smile! 

Sok Szeretettel,
Elder Giacalone

No comments:

Post a Comment