Monday, March 10, 2014

Kecskemét Week Eight (Week 48)

Hey errbody. Hey-sztok. 

Hungary is still a party. We see more and more interesting things everyday, but it's the best!

For example, they just recently celebrated a day called "Nő Napja", or "Woman's Day". On this day, usually at the beginning of Spring, all the guys in Hungary buy flowers for all their loved ones who are women. That means: grandmothers, mothers, sisters, girlfriends, co-workers...the list goes on! The city threw a big party in the center of the town to celebrate! There was home-made soups being brewed, dried meat, and swords! It was VERY Hungarian! Haha! I bought a sick t-shirt, and a pin of "Old Hungary" for my suit coat. 

Neely and I had a fun experience: one day, we had a couple hours of free time, so we went and tracted out an entire building. Disclaimer: we talked to all 50 DOORS through the csengő (...um...I think that translates as doorbell? But...it's like that apartment buzzer thing...IDK)...so we didn't even get in! After a while, Neely got kind of frustrated and when it was his turn to try the last one we gave our beautiful opening talk of "Hello! I'm sorry for the interruption, but my friend and I are doing a public opinion survey and we were just curious if he/she would let us into the building?"..."No." So, we left said building and in his rage of anger, my blessed comp turned to the building and double flipped it off. At the same time, an old, ancient lady came out and saw it! She gave Elder Neely a confused look, but we just booked it out of there! HILARIOUS. I couldn't stop laughing! 

Awkward moment of the week: we were meeting with "E" at her apartment in the downtown part of the city. We were teaching the Restoration, but taking it pretty slow with her so she could understand. It was going great! Then, her little apartment phone rang. She excused herself to go get it, and came back saying that her good friend was coming up and asked if that was ok. We were like "Of course!". Then, "E" explained that she was of a certain other religion that doesn't really like ours...the room got pretty quiet. When they knocked on the door, she came in with her...I don't know, companion? "E" went up to greet them and said "Well, this should be great! The Mormon boys are here, and now you both are here! Come on in!" I turned to Elder Neely and just said "Say a prayer, right now!" I had NEVER been as nervous on my mission as I had then. They sat down by us on the couch, and just started to attack us. They picked at different parts of doctrine and used really crazy vocab that both Neely and I didn't understand. During this whole ordeal, I felt strangly calm. We both didn't escalate the situation by fighting back, but when they attacked "E", she fought back. She bore a strong testimony of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon, and it was amazing! I was fighting back tears the entire time! The two ladies just listened, and eventually just left, saying that they would "come back when the boys aren't here". 

When it was all over, Neely and I were just like "What just happened? How did we get through that?" It was probably like an hour. It just made me that much more grateful for the Spirit and the calming feeling it has, and to help us not become angry in delicate situations. I was definitely humbled that day.

Well, transfers are coming up next week. Odds are that my short transfer with Elder Neely might be coming to and end. But, if not, I'd love to stay for one more :) I love this city. It's beautiful. I feel like this is "my work". I found so many of our people, and it's one of the first times on my mission where it wasn't a senior's work. I love it. One of my inactive members that we FINALLY got back to church gave an amazing talk on Sunday. He was so happy back up there, and I felt so grateful to have been able to bring him back home! 

I love the work. I love my Savior. Miracles are REAL. 
Have a GREAT WEEK :D 

Sok Szeretettel,
Giacalone Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment