Monday, January 27, 2014

Kecskemét Week Two (Week 41)

Hello everyone! Wow. Week of weirdness, small miracles, and just all around craziness.

I'm really getting used to my city here. Remember how I said the weather was super nice and mild? Well, about this time last week, it totally was. All the Hungarian's we chatted with said "Enjoy it while you can, winter is coming!" We laughed them off like the Americans that we are, and said that it will stay like this until Spring. Hahaha WRONG. WRONG. It started to snow a little bit last Thursday, and then BLIZZARD FOR A PURE 48 HOURS. Yeah. COLD. It was -9 this morning, in Celsius, and the roads are a nightmare. My shoes have like no traction in snow, so me and Elder D'Angina have been sliding all over the place! BRRRR! 

Also, we went without water in our apartment for a good 48 hours. Cool. Gotta love last minute notices from our landlord. 

Random sidenote: The radio at the internet place just did an interview with One Direction. Why. Now they're playing "Story of My Life". The other elders just started busting up laughing at my reaction. Good thing I'm over One Direction...

We met with a less-active family that is comprised of a mom, a twelve year old boy, and an eight year old girl. They are super awesome and have been members for like a couple years. The mom was doing something in the other room, so we just chatted it up with the 12 year old. He reminded me so much of myself as a kid. He loves history and politics and countries, and he said he is super awkward around other kids and loves to chat it up with adults. I thought it was some sort of time portal moment...except in Hungarian. But yeah, we chatted about the history of Hungary and World War Two for like a half hour. So awesome. 

On Saturday, we had E's baptism. It was held in the ward building in the brand new font. Some miscellaneous things did happen that almost derailed it: when we started to fill it up, we just turned it on and left to go to District meeting, in the other room. After thirty minutes, we came back to see that the drain had been left open, and there was no water! After getting that fixed, we had to wait a while for it to fill up. Then, we couldn't find the baptismal clothes. After tearing the entire building apart we couldn't find them. I said a small prayer in my heart asking for help from Heavenly Father. Instantly the thought came to my head "Call Bishop". Before I could say it, D'Angina said "I think we should call Bishop". Comp unity right there! He told us where they were: the girl's rest room! Lame. BUT after ALL THIS, her baptism was great. It was my first one, and the Spirit was so strong. Our group was small for it, but it was perfect. Absolutely perfect. It was a small confirmation to me that: Yep, I need to be here in Kecskemet. People are here that need ME. 

Other fun story: We teach a guy that is dating one of the ward members here that is currently on a mission in another city in Hungary. He asked if he could just marry her and not be baptized. We both groveled for a minute in how to answer that, and I felt that it would be good to share the story of my grandparents. Now, I don't have a ton of time to explain that story, but to simplify, one was a member and one wasn't when they were married. Now, they are both members and have strengthened their family through the blessings of the Gospel. Our investigator thought it was a cool story, and said thanks. I think it might have been for me, though, because I felt such a strong feeling of gratitude for my grandparents and all they have done for me, on both sides of the family! I love them! 

I love being a missionary. President mentioned in my interview how there is a large group of missionaries coming in May that will need require all the younger missionaries to step it up a little bit, perhaps to even train. And there are 13 missionaries going home in May. He also said to enjoy having an older companion that can speak the language really well, because I'm down to just weeks of that left. It was a weird moment, definitely. I've loved all my senior companions, and it's a weird thought to think that soon I'll have to start helping younger missionaries. 

The work is picking up so much out here. When the Spirit is guiding you, you can't go wrong. Life is great! I ran into Elder Becker up at Budapest the other day at interviews, and he said a lady that I had streeted while I was in Sopron was now on bap date! I didn't even get a chance to teach her while I was there, but I know that where I go in this marvelous country of Hungary, is truly where I need to be. 

Life's great. 

Sok Szeretettel,
Elder Giacalone

No comments:

Post a Comment