Monday, January 20, 2014

Kecskemét Week One (Week 40)

Hello everyone! The madness that is transfers is all over and now I am settling into my monstrous apartment in the beautiful city of Kecskemét. Some fun stuff about this city: "Kecske" means "goat" in Hungarian. I have no idea why they named their city after a goat. More fun things, there is a resteraunt(spelling? wow, my english is going down the drain...) that is exactly like Cafe Rio here owned by a member. We hit it up like once a week here, and it is very, very yummy. :D Also, apparently Kecskemet was one of the only cities outside of Budapest that rebelled during the 1956 Revolution. Because of that, the Russians came down HARD on this city, but it is also very prestigious and the Hungarians love this city!
My apartment is very big and super roomy. I have a study room that has a view out onto the main street in the city. I love my apartment! My companion is Elder D'Angina and he is an amazing missionary and a great Elder! He works hard and he has been teaching me what it means to be a "missionary", not just in work ethic but also in love and compassion for others. He's a great example for me, and he's rocking the language! We made a goal that he would correct me whenever I messed up, either in prayers before we leave or after programs. It's been humbling me, because (as many of you know) I do NOT like being corrected. But, this is helping me learn and grow, and I really appreiciate it. 

My WARD is fantastic! Yes, my WARD. The first since Utah! When I walked into Ward Council on Sunday morning, the missionaries just watched and listened as the Ward Auxiliaries just went to town on everything! Teachers and Priests passed the sacrament, and Sunday school teachers taught. Missionaries just had to worry about their investigators, first time ever for me! Great spirit was there yesterday, and I love my new Bishop! He taught a lesson yesterday in Sunday School about knowing Christ and who He is to us, the Spirit was so strong! When it finished, D'Angina leaned over to me and said "and THAT is Bishop!". Insane!

I've been meeting the members throughout the week and getting to know the families in the ward. They LOVE the missionaries, I guess for my companionship for this past Christmas the missionaries had dinner AND lunch appointments for EVERY DAY of the week of Christmas! WOW. That's insane! The Ward Mission Leader is actually the old Bishop. He's probably the most sarcastic Hungarian I have ever met, but I love him haha! So all in all, the ward is fantastic. Truly one of the success stories of the church here in Hungary. I love it here!

I've been streeting lots with D'Angina. It's been pushing me more and more out of my comfort zone, but I'm ok with that! Angol Ora (English Class) is also really big in this city, and I love that! I teach the Profi class, or the professional class. It is 100% English and we actually discussed politics in the last class! Super fun!

MIRACLE: Remember "E" from Kapos? It will be my honor to baptize her in the baptismal font here in Kecskemet this Saturday! :) Due to a series of events that I'm pretty sure were divinely inspired, she will be here this week and we'll be doing it here. Sometimes, life is just AWESOME. It's like Heavenly Father is just like "You do realize that this is MY work?". I know that HE knows what we are going through. 

What else...I am just loving it out here! The weather has been very mild and warm. It rains just enough in the morning to make the air crisp and fresh. I know what is going on when we teach Hungarians. I haven't been lost in a program since Halloween. Things are just great. I'm so happy. I wrote in my journal a couple nights ago that I was just "happy". And really, because of Christ and His Gospel, and I just that. Happy. :D

Smile everyone! Because Christ loves YOU. 

Sok Szeretettel,
Elder Giacalone

No comments:

Post a Comment