Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Kaposvar Week 4

Super weird how fast the weeks are going. I am certain that this past week was one of the fastest ones I have had on my mission. So much happened and we even had a transfer thrown in there to stir things up a bit.
We had some really cool experiences this week regarding some programs with our investigators. We set up a few new bapdates with some solid people. It was so good! One of them is this lady who has smoked for like 50 years, has no family, and until recently wasn't very interested in meeting with the missionaries. As we have met with her though, she said how she has felt a longing at church. For example, she said that while she was shopping she felt like she needed to be at church. She couldn't get these thoughts off her mind throughout the week. When we met with her we brought the newest church member with us as her first ever member-present program. She was nervous, but our investigator started asking her why she was baptized. She said that she knew that it was what she needed to do. Our investigator looked at her for a bit, and just thought. Elder Quinton then brought up what we had planned to teach her that day. We met with her again on Sunday before church. As we talked about the Word of Wisdom with her, she said "I will, with God's help, quit." It was so powerful! Then, when we asked her about a bapdate, she simply said: "I know what date it will be. It came to me. February 17th." And that people, is how it goes! Absolutely incredible. The Spirit was so strong! 

Regarding transfers, I'll be staying here with good ole' Elder Gould. We became super tight during our fun little time in a threesome with Elder Quinton, and now we are excited to take on the task of teaching our investigators. We have only been here for less than a month, so we are still a little unsure of the city, so today we have planned to "get lost" and see if we can find our way home...wish us luck! Haha! 

Another cool thing: my relationship with the Hungarian language has probably just now entered the "friend" area :) I was at a feeding program with this super cool couple out in the suburbs of the city. There was a time after dinner where we were sitting with me next to the wife and my other two companions off to the side with the husband chatting. I didn't want her to feel left out of the convo, so I started asking about her life. It was like uncapping a fire hydrant! So much Hungarian started flowing at me, and at first I felt a little overwhelmed. She was probably one of the fastest speakers that I can think of, too! Then, it just clicked. I can't think of another way to put it, I just stopped worrying and focused on her and what she was saying. And it clicked. I understood all her childhood dreams, the fact that she doesn't like her car insurance, or the fact that she thinks her family watches too much television. I caught it all. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but it was definitely a gift of tongues moment, and I loved it! If only they can happen like that all the time! 

Christmas time is really here now! I love this time and the city is so pretty at night, with the lights on and everything. The Tesco here is always packed full of people shopping and getting food for the holidays. I love it! People have been asking me if I have been homesick or what not, with the holidays. Honestly, I have been so busy I haven't had time to think about it! The Colledges do a pretty darn good job too of making sure that we all feel at home and are happy :) For example, on Tuesday, Sister Colledge made us all AMERICAN PANCAKES with AMERICAN BATTER and MAPLE SYRUP. Wow. So good. 

I hope you all have a smashin' week! Do good things, help others, and love your friends. Shout out to my second companion, Elder Loveday (who just went home!), you are soooo dead!!! ;) Haha!
I love you all! God loves you more, though. 

Sok Szeretettel,
Giacalone elder

No comments:

Post a Comment