Monday, September 9, 2013

Getting To Know Sopron

Hello everyone! I hope everyone had a splendid week.

Well, I'm here! Out now on the farthest most Western part of Hungary- the city of Sopron! It is about 25 minutes from the Austrian capital city of Vienna, which is a little weird being so close to another country. In fact, a lot of Austrians cross the border to go shopping in Sopron because the stuff here is a lot cheaper than in Austria. Because of that, German is EVERYWHERE here. Who would have thought that my three years of high school German would be coming to help me now as I talk to people in Hungary? God works in mysterious ways, people...

I am serving with Elder Becker! He is in his 11th transfer out here in Hugnary and he loves it! He is from Connecticut and he is a great Elder! Super good with the language, which is what I really need help with right now! 

So Sopron is a really old city and super pretty. I have gone from the flat plains of Szolnok in the east to the green hills of Sopron in the west. The city is really famous for it's beer and it's situation: I guess after World War I, Sopron voted to stay with Hungary rather than go to Austria, so because of that it has a reputation of being "reliable". Woop. Go Sopron. Our apartment is a funky really modern little thing with a flat screen tv on the wall (don't worry, we don't have cable and we can't watch anything), and a super nice kitchen and what not! Also, Elder Becker found MOUNTAIN DEW. My life was perfect for about thirty minutes that day. 

So yeah, the branch out here is one of the oldest in Hungary. We also have a Senior couple out here: the Browns. They are from North Carolina and they are really fun to be around! They just got in Hungary in August but they know exactly what is going on! 

Also, our companionship had been whitewashed before we arrived to whitewash it, so it has been whitewashed two times in a row! Super bizarre and it has left us with absolutely NOTHING to get started with. It was a little hard those first few days with just finding and what not, but now we have surpassed our old expectations and we have two new investigators and we possibly could pick up a third this week! Fingers crossed! I am super excited to see how things work out, the Lord has truely blessed us. 

And yes, I did receive my package finally. But stupid customs had cut open my Skittles bag and one of my taco seasoning packets, so it was all messy :( but I saved most of the Skittles and the pictures were a great treat: thanks a ton! I love getting pictures and candy! 

I also get to teach Young Men's on Sundays in church. There is only one young man, the Branch president's son, but I am so excited! 

Well, I think that about closes it off for this week. To end, I saw a mom in her front yard with her kid playing Star Wars one day when we were tracting an area out. Totally with lightsabers and everything. We asked if she could talk to us, and she said that she was "busy". She then proceeded to go clash lightsabers with her son, who was maybe six or seven. Sometimes people are just awesome, you know? :)

Have a fantastic week everybody. I love you, but God loves you more :)

Sok Szeretettel,
Elder Giacalone
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment