Monday, July 22, 2013

Why Won't It Cool Down?

Hey everybody!

Greetings from around the other side of the world! I thought about that today, I'm all the way around the world from Utah! Cool stuff.

So stuff went down this week:
We had a baptismal service on Sunday! We had three awesome people go into the waters of baptism and take that step towards coming closer to Christ! We held it in a pool in a hotel across the city from the branch house. The fun thing about this though, is that on the wall of the pool there is a mosaic of some mermaids or somewhat just flapping around in some water. It's a pretty mosaic and what not, but the mermaids are like totally....well, they aren't wearing clothes. Yeah. So I got to hold a towel in front of them for the entire service so no one else would see them! That was my contribution! Haha. Super funny. But it was such a special event: there is nothing like seeing someone that you have grown to care about coming out of the water just beaming with light. Such a neat thing to witness.

I went on splits again down to Kecskemét and this time I was with Elder Christensen. I think he's only been in the country for like eigth months or something, which I guess is a while, but still considered young in missionary years. We had a really fun time down there, and he is a great elder! And when we split back to Szolnok, to my surprise we had a new senior couple waiting for us: the Smiths! They are from Randolph, UT up by Bear Lake. And they have a CAR. HOORAY FOR AUTOMOBILES OF GREATNESS. We were way excited by that haha. Elder Miller and I took them shopping at the local Auchan for food and what not. They insisted on buying us dinner afterwards, so we went and showed them our favorite spot in Szolnok to grab a bite to eat: the gyros spot! :D

So, whilst tabling, I was called "Satan" for the first time by a passing fellow. That was fun. Also, another unexpected moment: in a programme with one of our investigators, I was talking about something and then "K", our investigator, just says "Hey, Elder Giacalone, your Hungarian sounds really well!" I wanted to hug him right then and there! In all seriousness, I have see how I can understand people a lot more now. It's still a little tough to express myself, but I can listen pretty well, I think. 

I also recited the First Vision in Hungarian in a programme for the first time the other day. I know I've been here for like a transfer already but it was still my first time. It was so neat. I can see why Preach My Gospel emphasizes bearing testimony about Joseph Smith and the First Vision- it brings in the coolest spirit to every single lesson we use it in! One of the prophets referred to the First Vision as when the iron ceiling between man and God was "shattered" forever. Such a cool way to phrase it. 

Szolnok is just chugging along! The branch is great, the food is fantastic, and the people are super funny and great- I LOVE them! Next week is transfers! I'm excited to see what will happen with everyone around the mission. We've got a busy week this week, lots to do! Thanks for all the prayers, I appreicate them! 

Have a great week everybody! Isten aldd meg a magyart! (God Bless the Hungarians!)

Giaclaone Elder 

Sunflower Fields

Elders and Sisters at a Branch Party

Random Shoes
Our family received this email on Sunday!  

** We have met your missionary son this week.  He is an amazing elder.  He and Elder Miller work so hard.  His language is coming along nicely.  We just arrived in Szolnok Tue.  Your son and Elder Miller took us shopping to teach us the ropes of shopping in Hungary.  They also invited us to attend some programs with them and to visit an inactive family.  They have been so kind to us and have made us feel so welcome.  Your son interpreted for Elder Smith today in priesthood meeting. 
     Thank you for raising such a wonderful son.  He is an excellent missionary.
                                                                                          Love, Elder and Sister Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment